Name:
Location: California, United States

There are no random acts. We are all connected. You can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind. (the five people you meet in heaven)

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Penicillin Experiment
a.k.a. Following in the Family Footsteps

Some vivid memories from my youth are intertwined with memories of rotten food. I know that sounds bizarre, but there are many episodes which fall in that category… bizarre. I have removed many penicillin experiments from my parents’ fridge, cleaned up spilt God-knows-what that my mother later tells me had been there for since autumn (and it was summer when I cleaned it), throwing out 6-month old soup and cleaning the pot because my mother really liked that pot. One of my favorite memories is standing around the kitchen island with my brother, and we’re trying to figure out what to do for the night. He suddenly exclaimed, “I know what we can do. Let’s go through the cupboard and check the expiration dates on the food in there.” I guess it’s difficult to understand if you haven’t lived through it, but it just is what it is.
So, I spent last weekend in Norfolk after a three-week absence. And I found cheese, left over from an appetizer at The Wine House, sitting in the fridge. Covered in mold. Ugh. I showed S, and she grimaced. I wish I had a picture, but you might lose your appetite.

***M, are you grossed out yet?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn straight I am grossed out! Food is a sensual pleasure to be enjoyed and delighted in. Your eyes should feast upon the presentation, inviting you to adventure further. Its aroma should tempt you; heightening the anticipation. The first taste should seduce your taste buds, sending a rapturous message that affirms the anticipation that you felt, rewarding you with an almost guilty pleasure…

I bet Tea is horrified at this too!

I think I can safely bet that there are no half empty wine bottles left around to rot and fester!

5:12 PM  
Blogger agiawb said...

Okay, two (three?) very strong margaritas later... I have an interesting (or at least I think so) post in the making.... In any case, just be thankful I didn't include any of the rotten egg stories. They are sure to turn your stomach. As for half empty rotten bottles of wine, who in their right mind would let that happen? I mean, a girl does have standards after all!

Tea would perhaps laugh. If you meet someday, you can ask her about her mother's attempts at okonomiyaki. That would stand your hair on end.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home