Name:
Location: California, United States

There are no random acts. We are all connected. You can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind. (the five people you meet in heaven)

Friday, March 02, 2007

The Mysterious Beast

Well, in all truth, this is a wee bit overdue….

For Christmas, I had asked my parents for a new lens for my camera: a super-duper lens, that magnifies up to 135 times and has an image stabilizer. A pretty nifty lens, indeed. Well, I wanted to try it out prior to my departure. The morning my brother and I were flying out, I got up very early to take pictures. Now, this is the desert, so there are animals around. It was still very dark as I stood on the wall surrounding one end of the pool and began to snap away. I heard a noise and saw something with my peripheral vision between the Jacuzzi and the sliding glass door to my parents’ room. I know that once upon a time my mother found rabbit remains that a coyote had left her, so I was a little leery. Then I saw the beast: it was the largest skunk I had ever seen.

Honestly, I didn’t know that skunks could get so big. If this were a dog, I would say that it weighed between 40 and 50 pounds. The last thing I needed was to get sprayed just before getting on a plane. I had to go back to work, so I needed to avoid the beast at all costs. In a comedy of errors, it kept heading toward me (and no way to get out of the pool area) while I tried to get away from it. Finally it did walk across the step-stones from the pool patio onto the golf course and strode across the fairway and on to greener pastures. I’m so lucky that this story did not have a smelly ending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home